Hello again and happy Tuesday! I hope your week is off to a great start. My week has been going pretty good…my hubs told me this past weekend that we are going on a surprise trip for my birthday this weekend! He didn’t give any cues besides it has to do with the beach…MY FAVORITE! Stay tuned to see where we end up!
Here’s my Two for Tuesday:
- Headbands & a walk: As you know, my husband, dog, and I go on at least a 4 mile walk everyday and as we are trying to learn more about Austin, we go to different parks to learn about different areas around the city. Well, recently I cut about 4 inches off of my hair, make it hard to just throw back into a ponytail and go on with my workout. I recently ran across some headbands in fun summer colors and thought I would monogram them (because everything looks better with a monogram on it!). The picture below is how they turned out, cute and do the job!
- White Chicken Enchiladas: So, being new to Texas, we have found that you can find tacos almost anywhere you go…they have breakfast tacos, snack tacos, tacos for dinner, dessert tacos…you name it, you can probably find it as a tacos of some sort in Austin! Recently hubby and I found a local Mexican restaurant that is BYOB…who doesn’t love that esp. since alcohol is always what drives up the bill?!? But they make really good enchiladas…so, in my recipe experimentation that I’ve been doing, I decided to take on the challenge for mastering white Chicken enchiladas. Here is the recipe I used from Recipe Tin Eats:
WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADASPREP TIME15 minsCOOK TIME25 minsTOTAL TIME40 minsThis white sauce version of Enchiladas gives the classic a serious run for its money!Author: Nagi | RecipeTin EatsRecipe type: Chicken, DinnerCuisine: MexicanServes: 4INGREDIENTSWhite Sauce
- 2½ tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ c light sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeños OR canned green chilies (Note 2)
- ½ tsp salt + pepper
- 2½ cups shredded cooked chicken (I cooked chicken breasts and 1/4 cup of water in my crockpot on low for 8 hours)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese (Note 1)
- 8 tortillas (flour or corn)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk, whisk until thickened – about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add sour cream and chicken broth. Whisk and cook for 2 minutes – it should thicken slightly. Stir through cumin, jalapeños, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix together ¼ cup White Sauce, chicken, corn, scallions, 1 cup of grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pop the tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds to warm through (so they don’t crack when rolled up).
- Divide filling between tortillas, and roll them up like a cigar.
- Smear 2 tbsp of White Sauce in baking dish. Place enchiladas in the dish, seam side down. Pour over remaining White Sauce, scatter with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden. Serve hot!
- Optional: Serve Pico de Gallo to top it or serve it on the side. I added avocado to my base Pico de Gallo Recipe.
Yum! Here is a picture of what mine looked like, not beautiful, but very good! So that covers my Tuesday for Tuesday! I hope you have a good week AND Happy Mother’s Day to all of you mom’s out there!